These are our allotted times we cannot miss this so please plan to be there early. There will be plenty to sea(pun intended!) If you are there early.
If your cub is not there at the time we will not be able to wait so please don’t let them miss out.
As with previous events leaders cannot bring to/from the event. Please watch the times for pickup as it will be very busy on the day.
Hi Cubs, Leaders and parents
Galway Bay Boat Tours with the assistance of Port of Galway Sea Scouts are delighted to welcomeyou to our Scouting JUST ADD WATER activity day.
Locations:Activity starts next to RNLI Galway Lifeboat Station, Galway Harbour.
It ends at the Spanish Arch approx 3hours later. While there is parking in the harbour to drop off, we suggest parking in or near the Claddagh orother area, close to Spanish Arch for picking up your cub scout.
- 15 min Rope-work, practical, boat based rope-work, we will cover the 6 basic knots ,where they would be used etc
- 30 min Safety brief, prep for the boat trip, don lifejackets/buoyancy aids, discussion on water safety and related topics.
- 60 min Motor/powerboat trip on inner Galway Bay and harbour area.
- We hope to see some wildlife such as birds and seals, aswell as lobsters and other native shellfish and maybeeven our local dolphin ‘Nimmo’ who pops up from time to time.
- Before returning we will get up close to a Galway Hooker sailing boat that will be on anchor outside harbour.
- We also plan to cover some basics of navigation using charts and land marks as well as how to call for help etc
- 30 min Guided Walk/Hike around Galway from harbour up to Galway City Museum (next to the Spanish Arch)
- 15 min Museum Tour, focusing on Galway’s Maritime History, and the old fishing Claddagh fishing village.
- Afterwards (before pick up) you will have access to the Marine Sea Science Exhibition on the top floor of theMuseum before returning outside to pick up point at the Spanish Arch.
- Obviously clothing needs to be adjusted to suit weather conditions on the day but we strongly suggest everyone wear sturdy footwear, hiking boots ideally and warm clothes.
- A waterproof jacket is a must and woolly hat would be recommended.
- Every Cub should have a sturdy day bag to keep everything dry and safe, which includes a water bottle and a packed lunch.
- Sun-cream may also be required.(hopefully)
We will have a small information pack for each Cub to bring home, which will include some water safety material, their Scouting ‘Just Add Water’ badge, a certificate, and some other related items.
Each Group will get a laminated chart of Galway Bay and navigation information sheets.
Some notes for the leaders:While we will run the activities, supervision of the cubs remains the responsibility of individual cub pack leaders.This includes while on the boat and for the walk up to the Museum at the Spanish Arch.
On the day we will have 150 attendees, spread over 5 separate tours, so we do need your help by arriving on time.
Everyone must wear a Lifejacket/PFD(personal floatation device) if going afloat and there is no discussion on this point.
Boat Skippers will distribute numbers between boats to balance the loads.
There will be a safety brief before we leave and we would appreciate it if Cubs could be forewarned on this as we takesafety very seriously and they will be expected to listen carefully to the skippers instructions.